First responders find dog rescued from house fire


WASHINGTON (WJLA) – A dog has reunited with first responders who helped save his life after a house fire in the Washington, DC area last year.

On Tuesday, Charlie, a lab dog mix, and his owner were able to thank rescuers for that day.

“We celebrate Charlie’s third birthday today, which we couldn’t do without these brave men and women,” said Ann Sanders, Charlie’s owner.

Firefighters rescued the dog from a burning house. She spent four days on oxygen at a local veterinary hospital after the incident.

“We were 10,000 miles away when we got the call that our house was on fire. And of course the main thing we were concerned about was our dog,” Sanders said.

DC Fire and Emergency Services responded that day to extinguish the blaze and save Charlie.

“I immediately approached the firefighter and said I would take care of the dog,” paramedic Marcella Somuah said. “The dog was lying there lifeless, breathing very deeply and shallowly. She had a lot of mucus coming out of her nose from the face mask. I immediately removed the face mask and cleared the airway.

Rescuers said the dog was exposed to heavy fumes during the fire.

“We just want to thank everyone for everything,” Sanders said.

Firefighters reminded all pet owners to have an emergency plan with the following:

  • Make sure your pet’s license is up to date and attached to your pet at all times.
  • Include a disaster kit for your pet, including food and water.
  • Prepare a first aid kit, including medications and medical records.
  • And have a dog or cat door in your home so your pets don’t get trapped.

Copyright 2022 WJLA via CNN New source. All rights reserved.

Previous Modern Veterinary Group Bond Vet set to open 5 clinics in Boston this year
Next Pedigree brand launches Rescue Doodles

MENU

Back